A colophon is an inscription placed at the end of a book or manuscript usually with facts relative to its production, or so the dictionary says. I find them an interesting glimpse into the parts of the whole.
If this site was a book it would be bound by my sister Kathryn, and would look so much better because of it.
The site uses Times New Roman for the main text. Not the most exciting selection I know, however after trying various other fonts I kept coming back to it. For those of you who don't have Times New Roman installed, Times and Georgia are used before we settle on whatever serif font you have chosen as your default.
The headers use Gill Sans. I love the capitals of it, especially when they're not bold, but I'm gradually coming around to the entire typeface. If you're unfortunate enough to not have Gill Sans then you'll have to make do with one of the following, Andale Mono, Futura, Lucida Sans, or your default sans-serif font.
I use a number of different tools in the "design", development and testing of the site. vi and Textmate are my editors of choice and I use them to edit the HTML and CSS when adding a new page, or substantially changing an existing one.
The actual site is built using jekyll which I'm currently experimenting with.
The site uses HTML5. My knowledge of it is not what it should be but I'm using this as a learning experience. Any mistakes are most likely mine.
The site makes extensive use of CSS. I don't use any inline CSS, preferring to keep the CSS in separate files. Right now my css is all in one file however this is subject to change, not that you should notice either way.
Modern browsers should display the site pretty much as intended, some things may not look exactly as intended in older browsers. I've made the decision not to worry about those browsers all that much.
This site is happily hosted with Dreamhost and has been for a number of years.